What are Osteoporosis and Osteopenia?
Osteoporosis is a characterised by porous and fragile bones that are prone to fractures.
Osteopenia refers to a condition of reduced bone mineral density (BMD) that results in weak bones and increases the risk of osteoporosis.
Most bone fractures are painful. Hips fractures require surgery and most patients require long term nursing care thereafter. Fractures also increase mortality in the elderly.
Spinal fractures can result in back pain, loss of height and hunchback.
Risk Factors for Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
- Genetics or family history of osteoporosis/osteopenia
- Age: Bone loss occurs from mid-thirties onwards
- Postmenopausal: Osteoporosis is more common in women after menopause due low levels of hormone estrogen.
- Small, thin frame and low body weight
- Long term use of certain drug medications
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Excess alcohol
- Low levels of testosterone in men
- Eating disorder (bulimia and aneroxia)
- Excessive exercise
- Insufficient calcium intake
- Impaired gastrointestinal absorption
How to Prevent & Treat Osteoporosis and Osteopenia?
There is no cure for osteoporosis, hence the goal is to slow bone loss and increase bone density. Here are steps you can take to avoid some of the risk factors for osteoporosis and osteopenia:
- Stop smoking
- Stay active and do Weight bearing exercise
- Reduce alcohol consumption
- Adequate intake of calcium & vitamin D in the diet and from calcium supplements such as Algaecal.
Best Calcium Supplement for Osteoporosis & Osteopenia: AlgaeCal Plus & Strontium Boost
AlgaeCal is a plant source calcium derived from marine algae. It contains high amounts of magnesium, over 70 trace minerals and phytonutrients. Traditional calcium supplements are made from inorganic rock or coral and contain few/none of the bone building ingredients such as trace minerals, vitamin D, magnesium, Vitamin K2 and Strontium.
Calcium alone is not sufficient. In addition to calcium, AlgaeCal contains trace minerals that are necessary to enhance bone health. Unlike minerals found in rock, AlgaeCal plant minerals are highly bioavailable and absorbable. While traditional calcium supplements can only slow bone loss, AlgaeCal Plus has been clinically proven to increase bone density within six months or 1 year.
If you have been diagnosed with osteopenia, osteoporosis or you are at risk of developing osteoporosis, it is recommended that you take AlgaeCal Plus and Strontium Boost for increasing bone density.
AlgaeCal Plus and Strontium Boost are available here